Thursday, July 03, 2008

Beware of Corn and Spam, Con and Scam.

This evening a Chinese man in his 20's rang on my doorbell. He claimed to be a representative from Nabinco Network Sdn. Bhd., a subsidiary of Welley Sdn. Bhd. He said he was conducting a consumerism survey in conjunction with the opening of the company's shopping complex. After asking me a few basic consumer-related questions, he proceeded to explain that as an opening promotion, the shopping complex is having a lucky draw contest. Upon unveiling my lucky draw coupon, he said i won a mystery gift which could be a car. This whole conversation took place for about 30mins and he was trying to fish for a lot of my personal information and also trying to convince me to let him in as my grill door was still locked. Finally, his true agenda was revealed. He said that since the company will also advertise me as a lucky winner, i had to first pay RM3,880 cash for advertising fees and road tax/insurance for a car that i supposedly just 'won'. So i told him i wasn't interested and asked him to leave. I immediately ended the conversation and closed my apartment door.
Be aware of scams like this. Do not be hasty in giving any of your personal information to any strangers even if they offer you lucrative prizes. Always be suspicious and careful to scams.
Shortly after, i went online to google up the company names and found out that they were fraud companies. Knowing the person was still around my apartment premises, i called the police and tell them to arrest this guy. Apparently, the cops in Setapak branch station near where i live don't even know what i was talking about. They kept transferring my calls to different officers. Obviously they sounded so ignorant and lazy. Hence, it is up to ourselves to fend for our safety and be aware of scam-mers.

p/s: i left out a lot of details in this story, too lazy to type. Ask me if u wanna know more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home