Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm jobless, therefore I bake

I've been baking A LOT for the past week. For the mean time, it's the only thing that is keeping me occupied - or my mind will start churning up negative and miserable thoughts. Sometimes I wonder whether I'd made the right decision by resigning from my previous job. But when I think of it again, I felt so much more down when I'd the job. Its just that the process of searching for another job, is making me a tad depressed - can't seemed to find one that suits me or is to my liking.
I'll be turning 23 soon, and at times I'm still not sure of my career pathway.

Dan has been doing a great job by cheering me on constantly - thanks Hub. I do wish he was physically more available, but he has been extremely busy with work. Am excitedly glad that he is
doing well in his career :) At least there's something to celebrate and be happy about :) - hence all the more to bake and feast *hee

Well let's get back to food :) Apple bread pudding is simple to make. Just add slices of one whole apple to the bread pudding recipe.
The apple bread pudding was a tad more mushy compared to the normal bread pudding. But it still taste yummy. Goes well with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. You can also replace the apple with bananas - it'll taste equally good :)

I like to alter recipes according to my liking - hence for this bread pudding recipe, I added in brown sugar.
The outcome: the crust has a darker shade of brown - looks burnt, but in real fact it isn't. In terms of taste, it is much more finger-licking-good compared to the original recipe. If you were to compare the apple bread pudding with this one, you'll notice the crust is significantly lighter. For the apple bread pudding, I did not use brown sugar.
Bread Pudding Recipe (modified by Cass)
ING:
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
6 slices crust-on white bread
2 small boxes of Ligo golden seadless raisins
1 & 1/4 cups of milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
Some margarine
8 inch square tray

DIR:
1. Preheat oven at 175 deg. Celsius.
2. Add cinnamon and sugars together - mixed well. Put aside.
3. Grease tray with margarine.
4. Spread one side of bread with margarine.
5. Cut bread diagonally - half. Arrange the triangle-shaped bread in the tray, slightly overlapping with one another - butter side-up.
6. As bread is added, sprinkle the sugar mixed and raisins onto the first layer.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for the next layer.
8. Mixed milk, eggs and vanilla essence in a bowl. Pour over bread.
9. Set aside for 15 minutes.
10. Bake for 30 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Up next is Lemon Frosted Lemon Cake. A favourite among my family and Dan. This is my second trial, and it turn out prettily well. If you remembered the post on my first trial, it came out ugly - like some sort of volcano cum mountain *hee
Lemon Frosted Lemon Cake
ING:
226g unsalted/salted butter
1 cup granulated white sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
zest of 1 large lemon/2 small lemons
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
9 inch round tray

For icing:
115g icing sugar (sifted)
2 tbsp or more lemon juice (according to preference on thickness and lemon taste)

DIR:
1. Preheat oven at 180 deg. Celsius. Grease tray with butter/margarine.
2. Cream butter and sugar till light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Followed by lemon zest and vanilla.
4. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and lemon juice.
5. Bake about 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow cake to cool.
7. Mixed icing sugar and lemon juice together, and pour mixture over the cake.
Would you like a slice of Lemon Frosted Lemon Cake? :P~

P.S. To my other unemployed friends, have fun trying out the recipes :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home